Wednesday, July 14, 2010

"Yezosaurus" update

Thanks to Konishi, I've learned of yet another reference that mentions "Yezosaurus" from 1977.  This time it's a short article by Muramoto that lists the name Yezosaurus mikasaensis and attributes it to Obata and Muramoto, 1977.  Again, it refers the taxon to Tyrannosauridae and includes a photograph, but there is no diagnosis, so it is still a nomen nudum.  Based on the cover of the issue, it was published in December, meaning Muramoto's book published in November is still the earliest reference I've been able to confirm.  So unless the Obata, 1977 reference is verified or another article is located, I'm keeping "Yezosaurus" attributed to Obata and Muramoto vide Muramoto, 1977.  Konishi also revealed that "Yezosaurus" was not mentioned in the Taniwhasaurus paper because it is an unofficial name, and confirmed their species mikasaensis was intended as a new taxon and not a renaming of "Yezosaurus mikasaensis".  Anyone who wants a copy of the article with translation by Konishi can email me at Mickey_Mortimer111@msn.com .

Muramoto, 1977. Discovery of the fossil of a large reptile skull. Kaseki no Tomo. 16, 2.

5 comments:

  1. Hello Mickey Mortimer

    Although I am from Mexico and my language is Spanish, I keep reading your comments on the analysis of the Theropoda. Because of the short time I have for my thesis I could not participate as I would like as an amateur but also so I am passionate about these studies.

    I think it is a very important task that could even turn into articles or compile them into a book. Maybe one day post on lanpingensis Tyrannosaurus or Allosaurus sibiricus.

    I also would like someone to follow his example in the genera of sauropods and Ornitischia because without doubt there is much to assess. (Kunmingosaurus, Hanwulosaurus, Bruhathkayosaurus, Brachypodosaurus, and Antarctosaurus Sanpasaurus jaxarticus for example).

    Thanks and congratulations for your site, I wish you luck.


    Ruben Molina - Web Graphic Designer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment. lanpingensis and sibiricus are both good ideas for posts, though I don't think either has ever been illustrated. I agree it would be interesting to have similar blogs for other obscure taxa.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tyrannosaurus lanpingensis if it has been photographed, appears in one of the volumes of the Encyclopedia of Dinosaurs Glut. But there is a scale or a measure of how the size of the tooth. Perhaps it would be great to consider it within the genus Tyrannosaurus, but certainly not the case.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Tyrannosaurus" lanpingensis - lanpingi.

    Yeh 1975. Mesozoic Redbeds of Yunnan. Beijing. Academy Sinica. Tithonian - Neocomian.

    Zhao H. 1986. The Jurassic Reptilia: Stratigraphy of China. II(The Jurassic System of China). p. 286 - 347.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yup, those are the important references. Unfortunately, I don't have either one and both are in Chinese anyway. Since Yeh also named "Chinshakiangosaurus" in the 1975 paper and didn't describe or illustrate it, I bet the situation for "lanpingensis" is similar. Zhao 1986 is available here for ordering- http://www.hceis.com/book.asp?id=2198, but I have yet to justify spending $38 on a book I can't read. But if anyone feels like buying it and scanning Zhao's article, they'll get.. um... 38 Theropod Database dollars. Yeah, that's it. Hey, it works for Darren. ;)

    ReplyDelete